On 31 December, 2019 a new type of coronavirus infection was registered in China. In a short period of time the virus spread throughout the world, affecting all of us. A large amount of information appeared due to the rapid spread of the new coronavirus and the fact that it was unknown to mankind. Unfortunately, lot's of those information is not correct and, in fact, can be dangerous. That's why it is very important to get information only from trusted and verified sources. On UN Armenia's webpage you can find verified information from United Nation's World Health Organization, other UN Agencies and the Ministry of Health of Armenia.
What is Coronavirus
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a new strain that was discovered in 2019 and has not been previously identified in humans.
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Detailed investigations found that for example SARS-CoV was transmitted from civet cats to human,s and MERS-CoV from dromedary camels to humans. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.
Six things you must know about coronavirus
What are the symptoms of coronavirus?
The COVID-19 virus affects different people in different ways. COVID-19 is a respiratory disease and most infected people will develop mild to moderate symptoms and recover without requiring special treatment. People who have underlying medical conditions and those over 60 years old have a higher risk of developing severe disease and death.
Common symptoms include:
Other symptoms include:
People with mild symptoms who are otherwise healthy should self-isolate and contact their medical provider or a COVID-19 information line for advice on testing and referral.
People with fever, cough or difficulty breathing should call their doctor and seek medical attention.
How to protect yourself and others?
Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
What else can I do to protect myself and prevent the spread of COVID-19?
How can I protect myself while traveling? How to make the workplace safe? Get the answers here.
Myths and facts about new coronavirus
There is a lot of information about the new coronavirus, so it’s important to know what’s true and what’s not. This information will help you and your family stay healthy and safe.
7 tips from WFP experts on keeping a healthy diet in the face of coronavirus
Advice from WFP nutritionists on dos and don’ts of eating in quarantine.
How likely am I to catch COVID-19? Are pregnant women more susceptible to the COVID-19 virus and will it harm the fetus? What is the risk of my child becoming sick with COVID-19? You can find the answers to these and many other questions here.
Q&A on COVID-19 pandemic's impact on food and agriculture
Q&A on COVID-19, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or a breasfeeding mom, you might have lot's of questions regarding the new coronavirus and how it affects your child and you. Get your answers here.
UN Armenia's support in the fight against the new coronavirus outbreak
UN Armenia COVID-19 Response infographics
View the ingohraphics in full resolution here.
1. "Videoconferences between leading radiologists of New York University and Armenian leading doctors" - Read about IOM Armenia's support here.
2. "Rural families face the COVID-19 pandemic with more confidence thanks to FAO" - Read about FAO Armenia's support here.
3. "Medical supplies for medical institutions of Armavir region" - Read about UNDP Armenia's support here.
4. "Personal protective equipment for the staff of the RA Human Rights Defender’s Office" - Read about UNDP Armenia's, UNFPA Armenia's and UNICEF Armenia's support here.
5. "Food packages and personal protective equipment for 1,600 elderly people". Read about UNDP Armenia's support here.
6. "The Coca-Cola Foundation partners with the UNDP to fight the COVID-19 in Armenia". Read about UNDP Armenia's and the Coca-Cola Foundation's partnership here.
7."Personal protective equipment and medical supplies for health care providers". Read about UNFPA Armenia's support here.
8. "Tablets for schoolchildren left behind from distance learning". Read about UNFPA Armenia's support to schoolchildren here.
9. ""Basics of care for elderly people and persons with disabilities" now online". Read more about UNFPA Armenia's support here.
10. "Next set of PPE to MLSA for vulnerable groups". Read more about UNFPA Armenia's support here.
11. "Food packages and hygienic items to some 250 vulnerable families". Read about UNHCR Armenia’s and its partners’ support here.
12. "Displaced Syrian women produce non-medical masks to help host communities prevent COVID-19". Read more about UNHCR Armenia's support here.
13. "Necessary supplies to help protect the most pressing needs among children". Read about UNICEF Armenia's support here.
14. "UNICEF continues to deliver professional protective supplies to Armenia". Read more about UNICEF Armenia's support here.
15. "UNICEF launches #LearningAtHome campaign to support parents and young children in self-isolation due to the Coronavirus". Read more about UNICEF Armenia's support here.
16. In the framework of the MPTF-funded COVID-19 response, UNIDO Armenia's Textile project team conducted activities to support small and medium enterprises (SMEs). As a result, employees were able to keep their jobs, supporting the companies’ ongoing activities during the challenging times. Supported by UNIDO, the beneficiary companies produced 2,623 sets of bed linen and 2,000 medical suits.
17. "WFP and partners continue to deliver personal protective equipment to hospitals in Armenia". Read about WFP Armenia's support here.
18. "United we can win the new coronavirus". Read about the combined efforts of the UN Armenia, Armenian Government and International Partners.